I’m so excited to have completed my Naturopathic Doula course this weekend!
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
• Studies have shown that when doulas attend births, labours are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
A Naturopathic Birth Doula
• Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman
• Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
• Stays with the woman throughout the labour
• Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
• Facilitates communication between the labouring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
• Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
• Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
• Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.
As a ND we are able to use additional tools because of our training in nutrition, acupuncture, homeopathy, botanical medicine, hydrotherapy, counseling and Bach flower essences.
Doula prenatal, birth and postnatal packages available soon!
Services are covered under naturopathic extended health benefits!
Dr. Maria Papasodaro, ND, Doula
Nature’s Touch Naturopathic Clinic
202-36 Vodden St East, Brampton