B12 injections are typically used as a treatment for;
1. Pernicious anemia- people lack intrinsic factor in the stomach which is necessary for the absorption of the vitamin.
2. Vegetarians/vegans- since their diet is low in animal products, the primary source of B12.
3. People with chronic fatigue or anemia require weekly to monthly injections of vitamin B12 usually because the oral form is not dependable.
4. Vitamin B12 shots are most effective when taken at regular intervals (usually weekly or monthly).
5. The body’s ability to absorb vitamin B12 is reduced with increasing age.
6. Methylcobalamin (Methyl B12) is a unique form of vitamin B12, which is more readily converted into the coenzyme forms than conventional cyanocobalamin. Additional B12 deficiency symptoms including ataxia (shaky movements and unsteady gait), muscle weakness, spasticity, incontinence, hypotension, vision problems, dementia, psychoses, and mood disturbances.
Benefits of B12
-More energy, mental alertness and stamina for everyday tasks
– Increases metabolism, thereby aiding in weight loss
-Reduces allergies, stress and depression
-Improves mood stabilization and sleep
-Lessens frequency and severity of migraines and headaches
-Helps lower homocysteine levels in the blood, thereby reducing the probability of heart diseases and strokes
An initial assessment needs to be conducted before performing a B12 injection. Also B12 blood work needs to be performed to confirm the deficiency or low normal to ensure a benefit from the treatment.
Ask Dr. Maria Papasodaro, your Naturopathic Doctor if this is a treatment you would benefit from to empower your health!